Sharb,
You wrote: After photoreading the book that came with the course, then later activating what i read, I don't see any difference than if I just 'skimmed' through the pages that interested me. This is such an interesting comment for me to read. Do you know how many people pick up books and start w/ the first page and never think about skimming to find things that interest them? Lots, if not most. So, from the get-go you are using a PhRing technique.

Why not take a 200 page book of an area you are not familiar w/. PhR it. Activate it. Then figure out if you saved yourself any time.

For your goal: my purpose would be to get proficient in creating a database application. This is an excellent goal. Narrow it down to exactly what kind of db you want. What things will be included in it? Formulate enuff questions to satisfy yourself. Then start layering your db by finding info. You should be able to find it quickly thanks to PhRing and detailed questions. I think for people like you, PhRing is perfect. You're already at a high level w/ your ability to skim & find info that interests you.