...why are there so many nagative reviews on Amazon?

I still can't do it, and after reading these reviews I am beginning to think that the % of people who can not do it is a lot greatert han that quoted in the course!

And what about the tst by NASA saying that PR doesn't work?

Could someone explain these discrepancies?

(reviews below from Amazon.com)

Customer Reviews

JOKE!, January 23, 2004
Reviewer: A reader from hermosa beach, ca United States
Please DO NOT buy into this SCAM! I'm am well-read and always look optimize my skills, this was a disaster. I never take the time to write reviews but feel it's my duty to WARN you. if curious, make sure there is a money back guarantee. You'll still be upset, it's not even worth the cost of shipping.

Was this review helpful to you?

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

Don't photoread the reviews, January 20, 2004
Reviewer: mbowman2 (see more about me) from Aus
Skim the book, scan the book, photoread the book, osmotically digest the book - you're a photoreader!! Even if you're not a photo-reader you're going to get through this thin and loose volume in not much time. Of course, the book is only part of the technique. Some tapes to improve the memory and change beliefs are going to be needed too.
So where are these photo-readers outside the pages of Amazon? Where are the validated studies with the '5 star' reviewers zooming through a book and being tested on it the next day?
Pls Mr Scheele - do a controlled test and prove me wrong.

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

A waste of time and money, December 28, 2003
Reviewer: Joan Russell from Massachusetts
I suspect that many people are tantalized by the possibility of reading effortlessly, at great speed, with superb comprehension. I was; that's why I bought this book.

But this book's author offers merely the standard steps for effective reading -- previewing, skimming, deciding in advance what you want to get out of the reading, etcetera -- along with a time-wasting exercise (the "photoreading" step) that involves flipping quickly through a book's pages while allowing the eyes, which remain motionless, to perceive the pages as they are flipped. Of course this "photoreading" step, as the author admits, yields no conscious understanding of the pages' contents; for this you'll need the standard steps of previewing, skimming, etcetera to "activate" what you've supposedly absorbed at an unconscious level during the "photoreading" step. Baloney.

The author of this book deserves credit only for his diabolical marketing genius; rarely is a book of such useless hocus-pocus so successfully marketed to the public.

33 of 35 people found the following review helpful:

Don't buy into this scam, here's why:, November 16, 2003
Reviewer: lazy_einstein from Clearwater, FL USA
I'm glad I didn't buy this book/system, here's why:

While looking for information on how I can improve my reading skills I stumbled across LSC's PhotoReading website and was truly amazed with their promises. Being able to read at least three times faster and that's just the beginning? Eventually being able to read 25,000 words per minute? WOW! In my naive mindet I got all excited and started thinking about all the books I wanted to read. The website included testimonials and claimed that "PhotoReading has appeared nationally on hundreds of radio shows, including network broadcasts, and many television shows."

The whole course costs approximately $250, now that's a lot of money! I decided to do some research first and see what other people had to say, interestingly the only credible study I could find was conducted by NASA, here's what their report said:

The results for all measures yielded no benefits of using the PhotoReading technique. The extremely rapid reading rates claimed by PhotoReaders were not observed; indeed, the reading rates were generally comparable to those for normal reading. Moreover, the PhotoReading expert generally showed an increase in reading time when using the PhotoReading technique in comparison to when using normal reading strategies to process text. This increase in reading time when PhotoReading was accompanied by a decrease in text comprehension.

If you already bought into the hype and don't believe me see for yourself, http://www.sti.nasa.gov/Pubs/star/star0003.pdf - it's on page 146. Apparently this program doesn't work after all. Not only that, like another reviewer on Amazon mentioned it seems like this book only gets extremely positive or negative reviews; I took the liberity to look at the profiles of people who wrote a positive review and it turns out that most of them reviewed many books similar to this (kudos to LSC's marketing department for reviewing their own books) and they all received 5 stars.

Don't buy into this new hype, it's nonsense. Anyone who looks at a book for a couple of minutes and reads the chapter headings will be able to tell you what the book is about, it doesn't take PhotoReading to do that! If you really feel a need to waste money I suggest you send it to me and I'll be more than glad to teach you something you already know and even come up with some fancy words like PhotoReading, you'll get your money's worth, I promise.

4 of 10 people found the following review helpful:

bad book, August 22, 2003
Reviewer: An Amazon.com Customer
this book is not satisfying book . the author says to read ( photoread )in 1 second 2 pages or 25000 words per minute
then use some old speed reading methods to understand the material .
in other words he just wanna encourage you to read fast by telling you that if you just look at the pages differently your subconscious will understand the the pages . of course you will not understand anything unless you will read again (normal reading )
in summary if u wanna just what is in the book . it is just telling you how to see the pages differntly and using old speed reading methods
i advise you strongly to read speed reading and mind mapping by tony buzan . even if you think that photoreading is working because you will need it after just merely seeing the pages .