Hurm.

If something works it works. If it doesn't, then it doesn't.

Is it possible for someone to believe that something doesn't work yet have it work for them and change their system of belief?

In my estimation, yes. I believe there is a reality outside of me and that I must work within its limits. I don't always know what those limits are. When those limits are in conflict with what I believe those limits to be, when I take action I get this thing called feedback from the world. This helps me adjust my beliefs to match reality better and better.

This is why tasking is one of the best ways to instigate belief change.

If photoreading will not work if you believe it doesn't, then it must not be a very robust system.

I don't believe that this is true. I believe that it *will* work for someone even if they don't believe it. The trouble is to get *them* to see that it does.

Put another way: does the belief that photoreading doesn't work absolutely and completely shut down *ALL* faculties of mind involved in the process? If not, then could it be possible that it works just a little, or in some ways?

That is, what is the smallest, most basic faculty of mind that is invovled in photoreading that works on at least a partial level while a person who doesn't believe photoreading will work is photoreading?

If this faculty of mind is at least partially active in the process, couldn't you say that photoreading works, albeit just a little, for someone who believes it can't work? Maybe the trouble is getting this person to perceive that it really is doing something for them.

For photoreading not to work for a non-believer they would have to become totally shut off from all sensory and mental capability ... because *some* info is going to sneak in there somewhere ....