quote:
Originally posted by Glenwood:
Wouldn't it be difficult to state a goal in the positive when you don't even know where the real problem is?

Try to think of it this way, if you say, "Do not think about the glass on the counter," what do you think your mind will focus on? Right, you'll think about the glass. In the same way, if you have a purpose stated in the negative, your mind will hear that as a command. If you state that you know what the problem is, you begin to focus on that problem being a problem, instead of stating where you can go, what you can accomplish.

If I say, "I will not be shy around other people," most likely I'll be so focused on that as my problem, since I have just established it as one, that I will probably just clam up when I'm with other people. On the other hand, if I say, "I will be more assertive and confident when I am in a social situation," I can focus on that as my goal. A positive one. Focusing on the possibilities. Sometimes it's not necessary to know where the problem came from in order to make positive changes.