I Should NOT have read your post, I have plenty of things to do as it is!!!

I said this SAME thing to the person who pointed the method out to me! Essentially: "how could you tell me something like this!" heh.

I'd like to know your opinion as to the validity of modifying the sleep cycles so as to accomodate a standard 9:00 to 5:00 schedule.

Is it possible for you to take a 30 minute nap at work and stay 30 minutes longer? I didn't read the other chapters on "quasi-polyphasic" sleep, which is what that would be. So I'm not quite sure, but my intuition is that you'd be able to adjust to about any schedule as long as you stuck to it 110%. But I recommend the book, Why We Nap for any and all answers to this topic. The best and most reliable (perhaps the only) book on polyphasic sleep.

After the sleep cycle, include the 10 minute Supercharger paraliminal during the first 7 to 9 days so as to not feel the "hit" so hard.

What the book, Why We Nap, suggests to ease the transition is to start with larger blocks of nap time. Then, slowly whittle them away to the desired number of minutes over the course of 5 to 7 days.

Maybe ...

Keep in mind that the reason why this works so well is because the distance between naps is so short and aligned on our 4 hr ultradian rhythm. If you prolong the time you are awake to 6 or 8 hours ... you will find yourself struggling without taking a 'hit of REM'.

I will definitely try Polyphasic Sleep, however, I can't afford the mental "down" time.

consider that you can shorten it to 15 minutes instead of 30. Would your telecom work permit a daily scheduled 15 minute nap break?

good luck!