You are talking to an international audience.

KWLee went to Cambridge England where GPA means nothing

On the other hand he ranked a first in his second year and was rewarded with a scholarship bonus and finished with honours last year.

His method was to plan his reviews before the exams, stick to his timetable. Yes he PhotoRead and activated the required textbooks and then some.

The study process wasn't only about PhotoReading it also included other ideas.

He got active with mind mapping and for his dissertation he applied syntopic reading after PhotoReading a heck of a lot of books on the subject. I had to tell him to cut it down and focus on the subject he was getting too much information for the limit of the paper and had to cull it a good deal. His abundance of PhotoReading gave him too much information and too many angles for the paper. After discussing it with me on many occasions I reminded him again to make a focus and stick with that and apply syntopic reading. When he did he got about four A3 pages and taped them together. He was appalled at the idea when I told him to do that but gave up in the end. The Librarians felt sorry for him for the amount of work he appeared to be doing but he told me he was having a great time and it made the writing of the dissertation a whole lot easier.

To determine what he should do his disseration on he ran an image stream. I was involved somehow but have to admit I wasn't fully paying attention. In the end he ran the Image stream by my and I asked him questions. He came up with an interesting subjec.

In preparation for the exams I had him run image streams by me on each of the subjects to guage how well he was doing in them.

We used a doors method. Asked the questions for each subject and I numbered them 1 to 4 at random. There was no way he could guess what number I gave what since he was in England and I was in Australia. I also hid the questions from myself by folding all the papers then shuffling them before numbering them.

He ran image streams told me what he got and I asked him to tell me what he thought each one was telling him before revealing to him which subject he was answering. This gave me clear cues of which subject he was weak in and needed to devote more time to reviewing.

Most of all I would say he applied discipline to his learning. When he created a timetable for review he stuck with it and sometimes that meant catching up when he got side tracked or spent too long with another area.
He did what it took for him to get the results he desired.

In other words find your target then work toward it. That means you need to be disciplined to use the skills that you have, stick to a timetable and do what is necessary during the alloted time. Don't kid yourself that you are studying just because you are at your computor with a chat going while you are downloading the right MP3 for studying with. Or just reading the forum on how to PhotoRead better there comes a time you need to take action and apply what you learn.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited October 03, 2004).]