I've been on my new sleep cycle for a few days and I have just screwed it up!!
On Saturday, I was working at a construction site from 7:00a to 8:00p and let me tell you, it is real tough to take a nap on a bench in the eating area!!!
I didn't take any naps on saturday, I went through my day with a slight headache and a slightly irritable attitude, although we did complete the project on time. The crew I was working with didn't say much in my attitude because I was controlling my irritable attitude, although I was more snappish than usual.
I slept after getting home eating and taking a shower, 9:30pm, and didn't wake up until 8:00am today. I killed my alarm when it went off. It felt sooo good!
I will re-impose my 'quasi-polyphasic' sleep cycle again today.
I am also going to try new behavior generator paraliminal to get myself to go into sleep cycle EXACTLY when I need.

I have noticed over the course of these days that I am more easily able to just lie down and 'put myself to sleep'. I can actually sleep after I'd say about 2 to 4 minutes and I'll wake up before the alarm, within my 30 minutes cycle. (I have a Compaq iPaq which I have setup with my sleep cycle schedule with an alarm at the end of the cycle)
I thought this would be more difficult to adjust to, but I can now 'fall asleep' when I need.

I have also notice that I am getting much more done! I go through study material easily, read books, and read up on technical notes and updates. Now, I'm just about up to date on the tech updates. Using this with the PRS is GREEEAAT!!
I have not felt 'that' bad during these few days. Some grogginess and sometimes not fully alert, but for the most part, you can get used to the cycle and I am sure you will eventually not have it impact on your mental alertness or attitude.

Eventually, I will see if I can incorporate the 'true' polyphasic sleep cycle that is explained on Brian649s' post.

Hi META,
I tried the 'gravity position' you mentioned a few times, although shortening the time I'm in the position so that I can still have about 20 minutes sleep.
I didn't notice a difference.

Maybe I'm immune to gravity?

I will continue to incorporate these new sleep cycles. Any comments or suggestions would be read with interest.