quote:
Originally posted by Deadlife:

- the instructions
- driving license manual
- a book on japanese folktales
- a small book of geography
- a drama

then I tried with dictionaries, but although I managed with the easy vocabulary - that means: the vocabulary I already know (it often happened that when I opened a page it came where I wanted to find the word) - but nothing further.
When I started with textbooks it didn't work at all.

A very short list for someone who has using PhotoReading system for a few months. And you tell us the only book you successfully activated is the drivers manual.

I think you should learn the system first and be confident in knowing how to apply it before you use it on textbooks. Naturally if you try to learn PhotoReading while learning your school work you risk that your grades will suffer. The problem with learning two things at the same time is you don't know which one you are having trouble with. Errors with one will cause errors with the other but you won't know which one is the source of errors. Whether you are using PhotoReading correctly for this subject or whether the subject is making it difficult to learn PhotoReading.

How about activating a couple of self help, management, learning to learn, books like that?

If all you managed to activate was the drivers manual I suggest do a couple more 5 day tests on non-fiction books. How-to type and pick a subject where you would expect to learn something. Once you get the feel for PhotoReading you'll be applying it to textbooks an knowing how to

Books where you can reasonably assess whether you learned all you needed to learn from the book.

As for your symptions of not being able to read and understand your former way. That can hardly be attributed to PhotoReading because you are not doing anything that you don't normally do. You use your peripheral vision, daily. You ask questions. Superreading and dipping is no different to looking up someones telephone number in a phone book.

One of the reasons you might be experiencing confusion is because you are rushing. Trying to achieve the level of an expert PhotoReader overnight. For a beginner PhotoReding will get you though a book in 1/3 the time it takes to traditionally read. Expertise allows for 1/5th to 10th. If you have a natural speed reading tactic you might in fact need to slow down for a couple of books so your body AND mind can process the steps.

What if what you call corrupted processes are your learning experiences? Noticing and becoming aware of conconsious and conscious communication that is in error. Noticing them so that you can correct them.

I have come across information where students do suffer cognitive problems like those describe but it has nothing to do with PhotoReading.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited May 10, 2005).]