Hello

I am the KW that Michael brought up. Before I comment on your post, kindly note that I graduated from the University of Cambridge, and speak from first hand experience of the process you outlined.

quote:
Originally posted by Deadlife:
If you don't have time, I'll explain you: those are just some of the TRULY successful people, and not just successful because they "found a good job". They entered history. And all of them have attended Oxford University.

And I also note that some of my colleagues, in spite of their prestigious degrees, have not been quite as successful. The people make the University, not the opposite.

quote:
Originally posted by Deadlife:
Considering the large, very, very, large amount of people yearly applying there, all having A averages, and the large number of people rejected (they admit only the very best), what can you say?

That it's very competitive, but that's not the point. The point is that you get the As when you produce answers that they want to see. I argued long and hard with Alex about this one, and Alex turned out to be right. When I quit trying to study everything and just used lecture notes, I got my first class in Cambridge. In my first year, I spent tons of time reading round the subject. No first. And I actually blame that on my knowing too much and not agreeing with the professors on too many things. It didn't matter that I knew more than my colleagues. You don't give them what they want, they don't give you the A. Simple. It's a matter of reflecting beliefs. In fact, a lot of what Alex posted on this thread were key insights that fundamentally changed my grade and approach. If you're planning on doing well, my advice would be to heed what Alex says.

KWLee