I initially learned PhotoReading through the home study course (the book was the second edition - this was back around 1995, I think). Eventually, I took the seminar - after I had an experience with spontaneous activation that I found "spooky".

I was taking a graduate course in mathematical methods of physics and classical dynamics (along with a couple of other graduate course, while working full time for a defense contractor as an engineer). Between work, school, and studying martial arts, my study time was limited. I found that PhotoReading dramatically reduced my study time. However, the thing that convinced me was the preparation for the final. The professor assigned chapters, having us skip some. However, when preparing to do problem sets, I would PhotoRead the entire text. I ended up making multiple passes over the text with the PR stage of the program.

When it came time for the final, I opened the exam and groaned. The bulk of the problems were NOT from the chapters where problem sets were assigned, but from the chapters that were between them (and skipped). I felt resigned, closed my eyes and was ready to quit. I opened my eyes again, looked at the exam and it was suddenly like a flood coursing through my brain. I started writing and almost couldn't write fast enough to get the information down in the exam booklet. Fortyfive minutes later, I walked out of the exam hall (the next person was done 2 1/2 hours in the exam) feeling like my brain was empty. I was done. When the exams grades were given back, I scored a 93 on the exam - second highest. SOMETHING occured, though I have to admit I still don't fully understand what.

That experience with spontaneous activation led me to taking the seminar and continuing to us PhotoReading on technical texts whenever I need to learn something new.

Hope this helps.

Craig