Gel pens, eh? I have never loved markers (bulky, get on your hands), so I'll defintely try using colored pens this year instead. The only drawback is the ability to make thick lines without repetition is lost.

If such a sketchpad will fit in my backpack, that's great. I'm thinking then that I'll map out notes for 1 week and then tear the pages out and binder or folder them (and maybe even review them) on Friday. I've grown to rather like the convenience of the 3-ring binder, but it sounds like for this purpose, it would be awkward for long-term use because of the folded edges involved. Am I wrong about that? Ideally I will find some type of binder -- so that can review it quickly like a book, whereas, a folder obscures its contents unless you take them out, putting the sheets out of order :-/ I would love to find a 3-ringed binder that could actually fit the larger sketchpad sheets. Foolscap seems to be a British and Australian term and product. It can refer to several different sizes according to answers.c.om, so I'm a bit unclear, Alex, as to exactly what setup you are suggesting. Additionally, I'm not sure where to look for an equivalent to a skullcap here in the U.S.

Alex, can you please describe your exact system that worked well for you with mind mapping stuff you needed to learn information? I'd like to understand the details such as how often you tore mapped sheets out of the sketchpad, how long you used the organization system, maps were to keeep organized, to transport, to review, and to archive.

In the meantime, I'm still unsure about what supplies to look for. The sketchpad is no problem. The appropriate binder is. If you have enough time that you could provide links to U.S. sites for the products, it would be greatly appreciated! I just want to find a system that works for me which is not limiting because of small size, not so gigantic that it doesen't fit in my backpack, not overwhelming to organize, and convenient enough to review from easily :-)

Thanks,
Cameron