It would be best to use Direct Learning for things you will learn in class so you can have the results of your projects verified in real time. I've had better results myself with using the New Behavior Generator for specific techniques and Deep Trance Identification for the "feeling" of specific masters. If you are into Imagestreaming the techniques Putting on Heads and Borrowed Genius would work. I also used a Paraliminal, Instantaneous Personal Magnetism, to model an instructor's attitude and that alone had great results.

Do NOT try modeling or direct learning of a martial art and expect it to automatically work in a life or death situation. You need to practice the skills physically, especially against a resistant attacker. A lethal attack is not the time to find out whether you really know the skills or not.

For serious defense I'd also suggest another art. I study a lot of things but if I had to suggest one art to an untrained person it would be Eskrima or another Filipino or Indonesian art. They are the best arts for learning to deal with weapons that can be learned quickly, and the vast majority of real-life assaults involve weapons.

A more important skill than fighting is awareness. If you are a good fighter but are hit with a baseball bat from behind, for example, your skills did you no good. You need both situational awareness skills and the "sixth sense" type skills to have effective awareness. The video "Safe in the Street" by Mark MacYoung (www.paladin-press.com) shows how attacks really occur and how criminals choose their victims, invade their personal space, catch them off guard, and attack. IMO this knowlege is more important than knowing how to fight.