Film has 36 pictures per second. The old black and white films started with 16 frames per second and then went to 24 frames per second.

The difference. The 16 frames per second films were jerky and comical in their action. Even the 24 frames per second were jerky. The lesson learned? The faster film created a smoother flow visually.

It also tells us the eye needed more information than was available in the first black and white films.

So why do we PhotoRead at one page per second? (25,000 wpm) Smoother page turning. You can go faster if you don't mind pages sticking together. It's even better if you do turn faster and maintain a rhythm. Hoever the fastest you can go is about 57,000 wpm with a book. Physically we cannot separate the pages faster.

The 693,000 wpm was achieved by flashing pages almost at the speed of film 30 pages (frames) per second.

Why we don't go faster. Software got sneaky. It stopped loading all the pages when you hold the key down it acutally jumps. My old pentium 2 with windows 98 was cool I could hold the page down key and the pages would fully load. I could even remove my finger and it would continue flipping to my release point. I miss that. Now my P4 flips skips and stops as soon as I lift my finger. So I'm tapping. That's slower than my old P2 managed.

Alex