Hypertext, I forgot to answer your questions, sorry.

Does this mean the emotive need must be either out of a fear or out of a love of the material?

-That's going to happen all by itself. If you decide what it is, it's a mental purpose but as I said before, you can't fake feelings. Your feelings are what they are before you even pick up the book or take the class. I would say to "stretch out" with the feelings that you have for the information. If it's love or axiety, great, but if you honestly feel indifferent to it then just know in advance you had probably better consciously read it and do mind maps for memory. If you're indifferent then you aren't going to feel the information comming from you subconscious, that's all.

So the same "need" to know basis for exams on uninteresting material in normal study is applied here.

This really depends. Some students CARE about school and some don't. If you care, that's enough to learn a little better. That's a moot point though because you wouldn't be here if you didn't care. Students that don't care don't come here or buy courses.

Is it always necessary therefore to come up a with sentence or two for your pupose before beginning or can you simply rely on that emotive feeling?

Your purpose statement should be like focusing a lens on something that's already there. It should be something that puts you in a good state of mind and that makes your feelings stronger. If your feelings are so strong, you don't need a purpose. When I picked up the manual for QiGong for the first time I was so overwhelmed with curiousity and desire to know the information and use it that stating a purpose at this time would decrease my vibration I already had for the information. I would be switching from my heart energy and turning on my mind energy and in that case it would be a step back. But at other times it would be a step forward- like if you didn't really know yet how you would feel about knowing what's in the book the purpose statement may ignite that feeling. With every book it's different, so the results are going to be different.

I would say not to worry about it. For as long as it takes, just state your purpose and be done with it, if you feel you need to. If you don't, then don't. If you are emotionally attached to a subject you need no purpose. The purpose is the feeling. You feel it, you already got the vibe going and reading about it is only going to increase it.