quote:
Originally posted by Neo-Matrix:
I am sorry to say that there is currently no scientific proof of God, but the Big Bang is VERY unlikely, I say impossible.

So why is it entirely possible that a supreme being exists when the possibility of something like the Big Bang is impossible?

quote:

For one thing, there would have to be energy to be blasted into the matter that exists now. there would have to be something to start with

Who's to say that there wasn't anything before the universe? It's entirely possible that our universe was created from events in another universe. It's possible that this sort of thing happens all the time and that there are an infinitely large number of universes out there. Just because we can't measure anything before our universe began doesn't mean that there wasn't anything there.

quote:

only God can make something out of nothing.

Again, proof?

quote:

if the universe has ABSOLUTELY nothing in it, this means there is nothing to react, explode, or Bang at all.

See answer above.

quote:

if the universe were created by people from another universe, then how was their universe created? starting from absolutely nothing, no energy, no heat or cold, no matter or extra dimensions, nothing can react to anything so how would things just *form*?

Our universe is not infinite in that it has a definite start. (Although to complicate matters, our universe IS infinite in that time itself was created at the Big Bang, so there was nothing before and there will be nothing after the universe has died).

That doesn't mean that space is not infinite. Matter, space, energy could all exist infinitely, each of which create more universes.

quote:

The reason i beleive God is a living God and not just a representation of the energy of the universe is because he talked to people, appeared to people, and was put in human form on earth as Jesus so we could be saved from hell for all of our sins.

There's a saying that goes like this:

"Why is it that when we talk to God it's called 'praying', but when God talks to us, it's called 'paranoid schitzophrenia'". The only account you have of God appearing to man is from a book written 2000 years ago. I'll continue this discussion after the next quote...

quote:

if you actually want to find out the truth, read the Bible and find me something that can be proven false.

The Bible can be interpreted in many ways. There are certain things in the Bible which have been described as one thing, but given our technological advances, could equally be described in completely different terms. Sure, the Erich von Daniken stuff may seem a little unbelievable to some, but all he's doing is offering a different interpretation of the words in the Bible.

quote:

if you're not willing to read up on it, then you dont really want to know the truth.

I must admit that I've never sat down and read the Bible. I've read parts of it. But what I have read doesn't tell me what is real or what isn't any more than Chris Ryan's latest SAS fiction book.

quote:

since i've said this, i would like to see links or references to anything relating to eastern religion, or whatever religion you think is the right one. im willing to read up on the information and see what i find.

I don't believe in religion. Religion is probably one of the biggest causes of hatred in the world, and has been throughout history.

Now look, Neo-Matrix. I don't begrudge you having your beliefs. You are as free to believe in God and the Bible just as I am free to choose to be sceptical. I don't particularly like the way you are handling this topic though. Your first post was fine - a good question. However, when Hel puts forward his view, you then go on to slate his (and many other people's) views on the subject. You seem to have the attitude that your beliefs are right and everyone else is wrong. I like to keep an open mind to possibilities. Perhaps you should learn to do the same.

No offence intended.

[This message has been edited by bujin (edited June 13, 2002).]