Mayflower,
You are not confused; and, we appologise for any unintentional confusion. You mention that you're just interested in stretching. Stretching is fine. Stretching is good and beneficial; and, yoga asanas offers benefits in the area of stretching. This you may experiment with, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the results. I don't think you'll have any problem incorporating stretching and/or other physical exercises, in addition to SFQ, into your program for healthful living.

Amstar seems to have found a nice balance for combinding the two: yoga stretching and SFQ. I like the way Amatar mentions "breath control" while focusing on the "emptiness" and "energy flow." Sounds like you've found one other way of taking the techniques of SFQ out into other areas of your life. Very good, because qigong is not merely a static system. One does not have to be overly focused on the individual nuances of the techniques, to the point of being stressed. Rather, relax and enjoy the process: the "now" of the experience. With regular practice and in time all will come together as it should - the breathing, the relaxation, the silence, the movements, the balance, the energy, and the synergy of all the parts.

However, we should remember that Master Lin has given us a complete and very powerful system. For best results, we would be best served by not diluting the system or inappropriately mixing it with other potentially, incompatible, energy techniques. Master Lin has put this system together after many years of extensive practice and experiential knowledge. Therefore, I think it might be best to stay closer to the practice Master Lin has given.

In my earlier comments concerning yoga, I was referring to yoga in the classical sense: as a science of life, a path to awakening. I was not referring to the mere stretching or gymnastic, or arobicizing [my word] aspects (althought nothing is wrong with these types of yoga, if that is what one is after). Looking at yoga from this classical sense it is very much an energy system. Therefore one would be best served to follow Master Lin's admonition and not mix energy systems, any old way. Yes it can be done, and I do it, but better to space them. That is partly what I was trying to say.

We are the benefactors of a magnificent system of qigong (SFQ). Let us enjoy the practice and reap the wealth of benefits it offers.... One day you too might become a master, and....

Anyone knows where our beloved Gallen is off to? Already miss his input.