quote:
Originally posted by BlackBox:
I will begin to learn more about Qigong of course, but I've dedicated myself into learning Falun Dafa (Gong) first and then I will spread my wings.

Sounds like you haven't started to really get into Falun Dafa yet. It has very strict requirements for its practitioners. Falun Gong practitioners are not allowed to practice other forms of qigong or even read other qigong books, including other religions or sects. Falun Dafa followers are discouraged from seeking conventional medical treatment. Health benefits are a secondary issue, If you have major health problems, you should not get involved with Falun Dafa, as it would only distract you from the primary goals of practice.

Falun Dafa is a Buddhist sect with heavy doses of Taoism based on the teachings of Li Hongzhi. It was the most popular qigong movement in China which drew the ire of the Chinese Communist Party. With as much as a hundred million followers, it was viewed as a threat to the state ideology. Other popular qigong systems were also soon targeted for termination.

Li Hongzhi migrated to the US before these events as he knew what was going to happen. The Chinese government tried to get him extradited to face certain death but the US government refused.

Buddhists believe that there are a countless number of buddhas at various levels including arhat, bodhisattva, tathagata and a few of them have incarnated on earth and are deified such as Quan Yin (bodhisattva) as well as the more famous Gautama Buddha. It is also believed that anyone can attain buddhahood by fulfilling certain conditions. Li Hongzhi's followers believe that he has attained such a level.

Falun Dafa is a not a cult group in the sense that one can leave it anytime without any fear of retribution from other practitioners.
It is definitely not for everyone. As Ascending1 points out, you must be dedicated and committed to this path. You would be wise to explore other paths first.