I am rather new to things, going on 3 months I think. I to went through some worsening before getting better. It is the trust and the faith and positivity that can get you through the times when you feel it isn't working. There will be small differences at first that you may not even notice, as I have found out myself. You have to visualize and tell yourself your are getting better.
There are still days I have to lye down while doing the exercises and yes I have very bad back pains from Myalgic illness' and scoliosis. Continue doing as little or as much as possible with the positive intention it will help. It does, I am only one of the proofs of being completely bedridden to 75 to 80 % better. My back will still hurt but it is getting easier and better as I continue.
Good luck with your practices and I hope you will find that it will help with consistency, visualization and help from this wonderful forum full of very helpful and thoughtful people. I highly recommend reading Chunyi Lin's book, A Born Healer.....it has helped my understanding of the man and the practice, not to mention all the wonderful people it has helped.
Gallen I read your wife's story and was so impressed, she is a very strong woman.
seedling