Hmmm. This person is saying that he or she is at a threshold point. The pain created by practicing the way he or she is is becoming unbearable.

Hearing that its going to get worse may make this person quit altogether.

Everyone has their level of tolerance of raw physical pain, and I think it is probably wise to offer this person, as frances has, means by which unnecessary pain can be alleviated.

Perhaps some sort of qigong practice that gives almost everyone some immediate result, some relief, is in order here? If someone's confidence is down, build it up.

Tjapukai, perhaps you should simply do some sitting meditations for a while? Try doing some chi generation exercises with your hands until you can really generate and feel it well. Then put your hands on your lower back and send the chi to the afflicted area while in a posture that is comfortable (even lying down on your belly).

I have been told that there isn't just chi, but that it comes in a variety of flavors. There is angry chi, happy chi, etc. Maybe you can try building up relief chi in your hands and then sending it to your back and circulating it around in the small universe or big universe of whatever it is.

I am not a spring forest chi gung practitioner, so maybe I should zip it.

I wish you the best of luck. You sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders. Stick with what works best for you. Adapt to the situation, but please keep going with the energy work, I know from a different system that it does work. Different system, but all the same human friendly energy.

You'll make your breakthrough. Vary your approach.