Tjapukai,

Did you have the back pain before you start learning the SFQ?
If you had it before you start and it has become unbearable, I would stop.
Do check with your doctor.

If you have the pain after you start, I would stop doing the active exercise standing until the pain is gone.
In addition, check to see if your posture is correct.
I have stop doing part of the exercise from time to time when my body is telling me it is not acceptable.
You ARE your own best judge to that, listen to your own body.

The sitting mediation is best when you just want to slow down. Do sit comfortably and DON'T do all those advance yoga technique, crossing your legs. There is nothing wrong by just sitting in a chair to do the meditation for beginners.

For some advance practitioners, the sitting meditation actually is more advance qigong practice than slowing down. That is another topic.

When you have physical pain that brings enough concern, don't force it.
Many SFQ practitioners stated in this forum that we do experience discomfort before getting better for some conditions.
However, again YOU are your own best judge to what/when to stop/continue.

I experienced back pain when I first started. I am glad that I had posted the question and get some insights. I did the active exercise sitting until the back pain is gone. Then I follow the posture test and slowly ease back to the full active exercise.

This is the link to the old post
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000280.html

It can be trying too hard too. That can bring up much higher expectation to yourself. It will cause frustration as well. Works against going into emptiness.

No one expects you to feel the same way or experience the same as anyone else. That "no one" should include yourself. Give yourself time to experience and learn. Give yourself credit for starting.

If it is not right for you, then stop.
If you want to give it another try, do so first by focus letting the pain heal.

[This message has been edited by Bluebird (edited October 28, 2004).]