Hi Jenny,
I don't see how you equate making a living to limiting your spiritual growth. It would be like saying that teachers, musicians, and artists, should all work for free, because what they do and what they offer can have a spiritual aspect, or be something special. Or anyone for that matter, self aware, or on a spiritual path, or having a spirit and soul.
Making money limiting that self growth? I don't think so. How one goes about making money, intentions, yes, but not making money in and of itself.

It would be nice someday, to see a hospital someday with a qigong clinic in it. That takes integrating it into business and society. Accupuncture is doing well that way. How weird would it be, if accupuncturists didn't charge for their service. Some of them are very energy oriented, spiritual people. They are providing alternative health care for people, and their presence in the community, via clinics( physical buildings, etc.), that aren't free to set up and run, or marketing to make people aware of the choice...
In business, there is a right way and wrong way to do it, regarding what's right and wrong, like everything else. It doesn't mean you have sold out and limited your self growth, if you run a business.

I am sure with many professional healers, Master Lin included, they do not turn people away, if they can't afford a session. Making money allows for growth, accessibility, integration into society... on a personal level, it allows one to do what they do, and focus on it, immerse into it...
It is a mixture of trying to make it a feasible profession, doing it in a healthy model or paradigm, making it more available to society, getting it out there.... lots of things..
On a personal level, in reference to spiritual growth, that growth still happens. Many people leading the pack, bringing great abilities and methods to the fore front, are pioneers. They are observing the phenomina they are involved in, learning as they go, I'm sure, marvelling at the synchronisties, often perhaps a spectator marvelling at the wonders behind a purposeful life, purposeful work.
love,
gallen