Hi,
I agree that everyone visualizes differently. Same for getting information/intuition, reading energy, etc, etc...

A SFQ practice, or whatever qigong practice, does not equate to going slowly, regarding openings of any kind. I am sure people(including myself) have experienced powerful openings, gradual openings, fast openings, and no openings!

I remember a retreat LS had in October, two years ago. There was a follow up thread with people sharing experiences. I remember Pete Bissonette sharing his third eye opening experience. Another side to this, was, that Pete was focused on accomplishing that during the week retreat. His intention and focus was there too. The energy of the event definitely facilitated that, as well as Master Lin's presence, but I would credit his focus and intention too. Relative to this, do the best you can. Have your own mini retreat. Set aside time to focus and accomplish something. Some fasting and lots of meditation. Effect openings, seek understanding, go in with a focused intention.

It is possible for a teacher to open things up for you. Even experience a glimpse of enlightenment. It still gets back to you doing the work. If someone clears a blockage for you, who keeps it open? Keeping it open can mean a lot of work, and understanding gained, through that work.

I have experienced a wonderful level of stillness in my meditations. I was reading some information recently, that talked about being in the present moment. It mentioned how 'ordinary' that can seem or be. Then, it said that it becomes 'extra ordinary'. I love that description! It strikes my sense of humor too. I find it to be the truth. Same for stillness. I feel it first as stillness, then, extraordinary stillness! I don't put that stage of what I am experiencing with that as emptiness. It is, very pleasant, and I experience it when I am still with a focus on something, like small universe, or following the flow of energy. I am aware of having a body though,focusing, and/or a structure to a degree. Wonderful stillness can be there, along with energy sensations. The energy sensations are just as pleasant. Don't see feeling the energy as a hinderance to stillness. It is wonderful that you feel that. The energy is moving, you are transforming. See it as just what is supposed to happen, happening.

From retreat notes on these subjects:

"The development of energy for opening the third eye: The third eye is opened through qigong practice. When the energy in the lower dan tien is developed, it rises to the liver and becomes wisdom energy. As the wisdom energy builds up, it moves towards the heart. The heart develops this into spiritual energy. The spiritual energy moves towards the third eye and opens it. Then, you can learn to use this spiritual energy."

" Experiencing the opening of the third eye:
As you go into the emptiness, you will feel the silence. As you progress in opening the third eye, you will begin to see light. When it becomes very bright, you are coming close to opening your third eye. You may see a very bright blue sky. After this stage, you wil see darkness again."

" As your third eye opens, you may see pictures and movies. Bright lights may also appear on either or both sides of you. If this happens, don't move your psychic vision. Keep your eyes closed and looking straight ahead. Over time, these lights will move towards the center."

" Intuition and emptiness: At certain levels of the emptiness, you will receive intuitive signals that can help you. However, the purpose of the meditation is still to enter the emptiness, beyond even this."

love,
gallen