I think that it helps to have a context already established within which the material that you PhotoRead can spontaneously activate. What I mean by this is that you already have some general knowledge of the specific field. As an example, I do not think that someone who does not understand calculus could go and PhotoRead a book on differential equations and expect understanding of the material to magically appear. There are not enough pre-existing neural connections for the material to "hook into".

I also think that trying to force spontaneous activation is the wrong approach. My experience with PhotoReading and activation has been that the material seems to be accessed from memory in a manner different than material that I "regular read". It's kind of like the tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon - I have to relax and let the information "bubble up" from the deeps of my mind instead of trying to push for recall.

As far as studying text books, I used the study technique outlined in the PhotoReading book - breaking the study period in 20 minute chunks, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by balmon:
Thanks all for your responses.

ckerins

I was wondering what you did to "prepare the fertile ground" for your exams. Did you study the books using normal reading techniques, and then PR them?

What do you find the best strategies for studying textbooks? Mind mapping??

Thanks, balmon

----------