One of the biggest things to keep in mind when activating, at least that I've found, is to maintain a relaxed and playful attitude. Stress and the desire to "perform" tend to be antithetical to the PhotoReading approach. Instead, have fun with the material. Find what interests you in the area that you're investigating. Have a purpose in your reading, but maintain a child-like playful state that allows your mind to flow freely and easily over the material that you're reading.

When activating, I've discovered that recalling material that I've PhotoRead "feels" differently than recalling material that I've regular read. The difference seems like recalling a word from your native language as opposed to recalling a foreign word that you've memorized - the encoding is different. The same thing occurs with me in PhotoReading - the material seems intrinsically locked into my long term memory and is accessed best by relaxing and letting it come to the surface, and the best way that I've found to allow this to happen is to let go and play.