I have used PhotoReading on graduate level texts in electrodynamics (_Classical Electrodynamics_ by Jackson), mechanics (_Mechanics_ by Landau and Lif****z) and quantum mechanics (_Quantum Mechanics_ by Merzbacher) and I have found the system to be very useful in absorbing the material in these texts, and none of these texts is for the faint-hearted. That being said, remember that these are graduate level texts in a specific field, and that I already held an undergraduate degree in physics. I had some familiarity with the subject matter and was at a level where I was prepared to absorb the material contained therein. If I did not have the foundations in that area of study, I would have had to have started with more elementary texts.

In my opinion, the PhotoReading system does work on any and all kinds of material. It does not auto-magically endow the PhotoReader with instant understanding of what they have PhotoRead - if you are not intellectually prepared to absorb the material in a technical text via regular reading, I do not think that PhotoReading will make it happen for you. However, PhotoReading does dramatically increase the speed with which you CAN absorb information, allowing you to more readily master written material. I went from staying up until 1:00 or 2:00 A.M. studying and working problem sets to getting to bed by 10:00 P.M. while using the PhotoReading system for my graduate courses (and I maintained a high G.P.A.).

When working with technical material, I think that it is important to play with the material that you're trying to activate. If you get a chance, I'd recommend reading _Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman_, a set of anecdotes about the nobel prize winning physicist Richard Feynman. Some of the techniques that he had about visualizing physics, math and chemistry theories/theorems are very applicable to activation of technical material, I think (Feynman was a natural synesthete who learned to use his skill in application to physics).

I hope this helps.

Craig M. Parsons-Kerins
-The East Coast Omni-Heurist!

quote:
Originally posted by nate:
"When you master PhotoReading, you can drop the time down. How far? It depends on many factors."

Like what factors? How far can it [potentially] be dropped down? I know that you are probably hesitant to make hard and fast generalizations but I just would like to have an idea of what can be done with the system once you have invested a lot of time and energy (and $).

Also have you photoread a book like a biochem book in the past? How long did it take?