Hi Ariane,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Have you read the story 'The monkey's Paw' by W.W. Jacobs? Do a google search and see if you can find it.

Your story reminds me of what my teacher (Guru) used to say: 'be careful what you wish for'... He went to the extent of saying: "it's best not to ask for anything from God, because God knows what your needs are more that you do. .... if you earnestly ask, God may grant it to you, but it may not be good for you in the end...."

Sometimes when we don't have something that we dearly wish for, its an act of benevolence from the universe. We don't know that having it may cause more damage than not having it.... That is why Yoga teaches practice of contentment...' being content with things unasked for'. as a part of practices of 'Yama and Niyama'.

I know this is hard to practice, especially in these days of instant gratification, when all we hear about is talk of 'get this - get that', 'manifest this manifest that'....with little or no effort involved...

Teaching/promoting patience, contentment, perseverance, controlling the senses, subduing rampant desires, selflessness and all such ideas are not in the business interest of companies that want to sell us more and more of their products.

I think next time when we wish for something, It's important to keep in mind that all these material philosophies promoting sense gratification & kindling desires are in sharp contrast with ages old, time tested traditions of Yoga, buddhism, hinduism etc. For thousands of years, Yogis and other spiritual seekers have tried to subdue the senses & desires (by not encouraging them) and tried to cultivate spiritual wealth and have believed that spiritual wealth is the true wealth. That is what can bring lasting happiness & peace, all else is transitory & temporary...

regards,
AeB