I too have lived in a wide variety of places- though as a military brat, I did not grow up in one place. I have noticed that each place I have lived, and each I have travelled to has a different feeling and a different culture. In fact, as a facilitator, I know that every group has its own spirit.

I want to point out an observation I have made- one of available choices. When you think differently, or belong to a sub culture or interest group (musicians artists, spiritualists, philosophers, et al) and live in a small city or town, you have limited choices of community. It is simply harder to find like minded people. In a large city, it is realtively easy to find people with shared interests, and settle into a community or form a group with shared vision.

Also, big cities usualy have colleges and universities in them or near by.This seems to attract open minded people. While counseling people I have heard the following many, many times "I always felt like an outsider in high school, always felt I am different. Then, when I went to college, I fit right in, there were lots of people who felt and thought like I do."

And, all that being said, there are places that feel alot more like "home" than other places. Is it me, or energy, or what? I can't realy say for sure, but I encourage you to follow your intuition.

vitaman