Hi Kevin,
I'm going with HF. It's all about letting go and becoming present. Though not of a fixed religion myself, I did hear a saying recently which summed it up best for me: Let go and let god. Focus on what you're doing now, concentrate, give every moment your best and your full attention, the universe will fill in the rest. Or so the saying goes. For the record, I have found that this technique of taking each step one at a time has actually worked best for me at times of greatest stress in my life.
At the end of the day, if you're hanging off the edge of a mountain and have temporarily lost your grip, it's best to focus, concentrating on each movement at a time as this is what's going to get you back to the ledge, not worrying about the ledge and about the fact that you're not on it yet.
It's like when you can't remember someone's name or the answer to a really obvious question (say in a party and you are probably feeling embarrassed about it too!). Isn't it always the way that the more you try to remember, the blanker your mind becomes? As soon as you stop thinking about it, forget that it was an issue, then suddenly BINGO - what pops right into your mind's eye if not the answer!
Underlying message - the answer/solution etc. is there through action and focus in every moment. Sometimes you have to trust that it's there and that it's on its way, as long as you are doing what you can for now.
Nothing lasts forever and that includes crap situations. And remember too that crap fertilizes flowers.
best of luck.
Ingrid