Quote:

In my experience, most people simply need Messiahs outside of themselves, no matter what. They seem incapable of becoming fully self-aware and enlightened. Indeed, the vast majority flock to congregations, synagogues, temples, pastors, preachers, teachers, and gurus, seeking the enlightenment of others. Humans have a herd mentality, and we are programmed to follow the alphas. Those who become self-aware are in the vast minority, and indeed, they usually become the Messiahs to the rest. History is filled with examples of false-messiahs, and many have shamelessly led their herds off cliffs. One way to guard against such mis-devotion, in my opinion, is a commitment to being rational and objective. Doing so may get one branded as a closed-minded, arrogant skeptic. But it can also save one from needlessly falling off cliffs.

My sentiments exactly. If we don't take responsibility for our lives, empowerment and enlightenment and instead we hand this responsibility and power over to self styled messiahs then we really are creating our own demise. Learning skills is one thing - attributing all our success to living "Bodhisattvas" is another.