You might consider Tubes of Light. But seriously, I would also consider (you probably have) if the front door corresponds to one or both of your best directions for the family's major bread winner? Does the stove face a best direction? As well, is the Element (earth, wood etc.) of your Personal energy number supported by the Earth Base star (or Time Star, the central big number) in your Flying Star chart in the Facing Palace? For instance, your base number for NW2 (period 8, is this a new house?) is 9-Purple-Fire at the Facing Palace which is great if your element is Wood and ok if your element is Fire. Otherwise, you would have to work further by adding counter-measures to the area. But that might be as simple as adding a fountain here to counter the fire element, and it would also support the six-white that is also in the Facing Palace, and your 6-8 combo suggests financial success. 9-Purple is not considered to be a good front door number to have, though with the 6 there, the destructive influence is lessened. With this chart I believe you'd have an illness combination in the East (6-9) most likely to effect the elderly, so best not to put Grandma's bedroom there.

You might also look at the actual date the house was built and make a chart for that. The year of construction has been the gold standard for determining a Flying Star chart, unless your renovations are so extensive as to bring it into the new period, which a porch I don't believe would be enough. Not sure how Marie arrives at the contract being the determining factor, though that is the case in purchasing land or a burial plot - so maybe it has something to do with that.

Another thing you might consider is the fact that the Grand Duke Jupiter is in the NW (though not the whole compass direction for the NW) this year and is not to be disturbed by renovations. Sorry to have to bring that up.

You might consider hiring a Professional Classical Feng Shui Practitioner to scope out your house. Timing is also to be considered as well as the general layout and where the period stars fall. With an investment such as this, I would consider those options. It's one thing to discover Feng Shui after you've purchased a home, but you're in such a better position to use Feng Shui to help determine the best place for you. There are some great resources in The Complete Idiot's Guide to Feng Shui 3rd edition that might help you find a real practitioner. That book is a gem by the way (title excluded!), very highly regarded (it also has the raw period charts from Period 1 to 8, MD's more explained charts only cover 7 and 8). The MD system kind of spoon feeds you information but doesn't go into any real depth as to what is the underlying factors, in my opinion. I think it's a great start, and good for someone who just wants to do as she says without learning that much - and I don't think a lot of people have the time to study more extensively, so her system is a great resource. I'm talking mostly about her Flying Star system, which doesn't really go into very much detail other than here's what to do - as she determines the star combinations effect for you, but also in some cases this conflicts with the individual's personal element. By the way, JoeyYap.com has a free Flying Star calculator to make charts. Also, a very no BS approach to Classical Feng Shui.

I wish Marie would explain the star combinations in her course, and name the stars (she does name the yearly stars), so that one could learn the relationship between them - but that doesn't seem to be the point or direction they chose to go in with the Diamond Feng Shui system.

That's my 2 cents for you. Maybe someone else will have some good suggestions or insights for you - I'm still learning, but I thought I'd share some of what I've learned a bit beyond DFS.

best of luck!