Ideal Gas Law: PV=nRT, where P= pressure, V = volume, n = a number of some sort (like moles or something) R is a constant, and T = temperature.

If you ask most people (and myself before that one lecture in physics class) why air rushes out when you pop a balloon or a tire, they'll probably answer "becasue all the air is crammed in there and all the air particles are bouncing around off each other and when there is an opening they all make a run for it, because they hate to be all crammed in such a small space like that" or something that effect.

Problem is, is that the ideal gas law was derived from a mechanical statistical model that assumes NO partical interaction. Meaning that each particle in that tire or balloon thinks its the only one in there.

The best answer my physics proff could come up with as to why they all bail out at the same time was that because there is such a low probability of all particles being in the same small space at the same time, nature automatically corrects to a more acceptable scenario according to probability.

If you want a quick, easy, entertaining read on this and other stuff, google "God's Debris" by Scott Adams (the dilbert guy). Last I checked, he had it as a free pdf download on one of his websites.

Speaking of things we 'know' to be true, answer me this question:

when I let go of my keys, why do they fall to the ground?

Seriously, everyone, give me your best shot.....

George