quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Millies:
Decide on the topic you will speak about. Break down your speech into the key ideas or terms that you want to address. Decide on one word that will remind you of that key idea. Depending on your learning style and preference, (are you more linguistic or do you prefer numbers in a sequence?) either attach each word to the letter or number of you anchorman list.

So, let’s say you have eight key ideas you want to talk about. Decide what order you want to talk about each idea. Number them 1-8, or A-H. Then attach your idea to your already existing list. And yes, you will have to be really creative.

Let’s say I want to give an introduction on yoga. I want to talk about the 8 branches or characteristics of yoga: Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dahrana, Dyana, and Samadhi. I want to present them in that order. Now, I decide why Yama is on number one and/or the letter A. Yama is the anchor on number one because Yama sounds like Llama and a llama is missing a (one) hump. Or I could picture a llama with an anchor around its neck. Once I make that connection, when I think of number one, which I already connect with “anchor,” I will think of this image and therefore think of Yama. Since I am a visual learner it is easy for me to visualize the Llama. It is silly and maybe makes no sense, and also may sound ridiculous to you, but it does work for me and that’s what’s important. And, that’s why it’s difficult to give examples because what works for one person may not work for another.

So next, I connect Niyama with number two or the letter or word on B. Usually the first thing that comes to mind, however absurd, is the best to go with.

Now, I can mentally rehearse the eight items (and thus my speech) until I know it simply by visualizing the list of words or images, 1-8. The idea is that I want to remember each of the characteristics and also talk about them in a certain order. My purpose is not to memorize word-for-word my entire speech, but to remember what I am going to talk about.

I hope that helps. This is just one example and you can use the anchor list to remember grocery items, an itinerary, a meeting schedule; just be creative.

[This message has been edited by Sandy Millies (edited March 09, 2004).]

Hi, I am going through same stuff as Katzjammer. Is the anchorman list mentione on CD 3 of the set simply a basic foundation.?
I mean, your pervious messages says it's either letter or numbers. Whereas Mrs. attaches letter to corresponding numbers and then presumably to ideas trying to memorize, in my case trigger word lists.

Shall simply move to the next CD to see where mrs b is going with this.? I am trying to build an effective list in quickest time to deal with exams.