For what it's worth, and merely as a suggestion:

Herbs are forms of medicine, just like pharmaceuticals. Although, more natural, that does not always make them less intense, or less counter-indicated. We are all unique (not only in soul, but also in body!).

Schizandra is indeed a tonic herb, used a lot in Chinese Traditional Medicine. Tonics are more like food, in that they usually (and I emphasize that word) can be used by anyone in almost any quantity (within reason, of course! You can even have too much water! \:o ).

Having said that, I know from experience that, tonics, say ginseng, for example, is NOT right for everyone. It depends on that person's yin yang balance/imbalance and also on the time of year, the source of the herb, etc etc etc.

For what it's worth, I highly recommend people NOT to give herbal suggestions on this board without knowing the person they are giving it to and without being a professional herbal doctor/healer. Basically, not to do it all, because even if you know them AND know what you are doing, other people might take a suggestion that is not a good idea.

I go to a TCM doctor and she told me that due to my particular issues,right now ginseng would be TERRIBLE for me right now. I know she is right, because I could feel it.

[homeopathy is a bit different, BTW, though still probably better to find a pro, because it has the "do no harm" thing built more right into it. Regular herbs, that are not diluted down past the gross material being able to be detected, can indeed be just as strong or affecting to the body as drugs!]

Having said all of that, the fact that it came up here on this topic is good (and there is always "better" & "best"). Because it allows me to make the suggestion for makemerry to find a good TCM doctor in his/her area. This can be a task in and of itself, but finding someone you trust who has one can be a good method.

A good TCM doctor, should take at least a half hour to an hour on the initial visit, NOT counting any time before the visit filling out a profile. They should take multiple pulses, use smells, looking at the tongue, etc, and looking at the whole person, not the symptoms.

They should not only use acupuncture or herbs, but should at least use both and maybe have other modalities as well (such as at least recommending either qigong or martial arts, such as Tai Chi to help as well).

I do believe that herbs when used correctly can help. But not through a message board forum.

What I think we can best do here is focus on SFQ either with our experiences, practice tips, motivational stories, and support.

That is the main point here.

When in doubt, leave it out.

Anyway, not meant to criticize, rather, grateful this came up and allows us an opportunity to focus even more on our practice and healing.

Makemerry, I will add you to my own healing list for practicing some distance healing (level III) on you, if that's okay with you.

Meanwhile, I echo gallen's outstanding post: focus on the healing that is indeed happening. Do more if you can... even a few minutes more can help more. And more sessions a day, again even if only a few minutes sends powerful messages to your body, mind and spirit that you care and are making a change. Know that you are not your symptoms and they can never sum you up. And that while you are healing, you are healing way more than just depression. That mere symptom, may take more time to disperse, but meanwhile, you are certainly healing OTHER things in your body on many levels. THis is all what gallen said and it is real wisdom! This is valuable stuff! \:\)

Let me know a good day and all you have to do, is just be receptive to it!

Happy New Year!

blessings,

Steve