The perspective in general on medicine, in regards to one's qigong practice, is that sometimes medicine is necessary to take in, and it is best to filter it, or bless it, however you choose to see or do that, synthetic or natural. At the same time, you are engaged with a transformative practice that can result in gradually not requiring the medicine, or requiring a lesser dose.
That piece is all relative to one's level practice, the particular medicines, and state of being.
If one has to take synthetic drugs, it is best to not have an 'additional' negative emotional reaction to having to take the drug, and be more impartial about it, filter it , and focus on the selfhealing side and one's transformation to health and not requiring the drug. As Master Lin has taught in regards to blockages, that extra energy isn't good or bad, but rather just extra energy, or energy you don't need, or energy out of place.
In relation to good food or natural herbs, there can be a nice spiritual/physical connection to acknowledge, or fortify. With less natural or powerful synthetics, or something like chemo therapy, it is good, as I say, to be impartial, and focus on one's practice and healing, and filter out what doesn't support that. Not wanting to engage with synthetics or powerful drugs is certainly a reasonble position to take. In the event that you have to, it is best to not hold negative feelings about it, and focus on healing, as completely as possible, and keep any additional distraction or negatives out of the mix.
Emotions are energy and can get into the mix too. Food prepared by a happy chef is better than food prepared by an angry one. This all aside from the actual food itself.
Also, one's practice can lead you somewhere in regards to engaging with things one might consider as outside a qigong practice, whether that is really the case or not.
My apologies to the forum and Merrymaker for the shift in focus from depression.
Shakurav, thank you for the good reviews! I would want to clarify that wisdom simply 'is', and it certainly isn't mine!! We all come to it, and can experience through practicing qigong.
love,
gallen