If your going to cycle through the course and you have a specific problem and you focus on it while going through the whole course then I think it's really effective. Having a clear goal in other words. But even if you generalize something like, "I just want to feel good and see all the beautiful options, but on the other hand I seem to not feel good", that works to.
I've even used it with no single purpose and I have to say that it does open you up even then gives good focus and peace. It's an awesome course although I really reccomend getting the Natural Brilliance Book, that book alone is simply amazing and contains info. not found in the course alone. It helps you use the course tapes better as well. Really setting aside time with the course and then going out and actively pursuing your goals with the Natural Brilliance attitude(a kind of surrender to greater being inside and the one outside as well)will prove the greatness of who you are and how the course gave you direction. Hands down it's really awesome. Also I learned that the release step can involve anything, I used "Feeling your feelings fully(no suppression or expression)and then letting them go(via Sedona Method)" and that put me in the right place to really surrender the teachings of the NB course. Hands down the course rocks, just trust the process, let go of controlling, and keeping applying it. Simply awesome.