All,

Again the question: What am I willing to give up to be successful?

Yesterday I made a commitment to give up watching DVD films on a regular basis. Although I truly enjoy movies, I have also been aware that it is another kind of entertainment (like monitoring internet sports) that doesn't require the caliber of engagement that I want in my life. It takes a particular quality of film to bring out the kind of high level investment of attention that I find most nourishing, and entertainment alone, particularly when it doesn't require me to be actively involved, rarely gives me that sense of full engagement. It's time to make space for something else that does.

My commitment is to watch no more than one film a week, for the next month. I will report back in mid-September with what I notice over that time span.

I have been contemplating what it means to me to simplify my life. Although, by most people's standards (at least relative to the "average" American) I live simply, I am aware of how many of my activities are not only non-essential, but also distracting or else not all that enriching. Giving Up those things definitely is freeing up extra energy to manifest new possibilities for my life.

The paradox has been that I am observing new and fantastic layers of complexity rise to the surface as I let go of the inessential thoughts, behaviors, and activities that once kept me occupied but not truly "engaged". I am reminded of a quote from Oliver Wendell Holmes:

"I would not give a fig for the simplicity this side of complexity, but I would give my life for the simplicity on the other side of complexity."

I have a mind that thrives on nuance and complexity, but a heart that craves the simplicity of full engagement with life as it occurs. Giving up, for me, entails letting go of anything that doesn't nourish both my heart and mind. Following Inner Guidance via the process of ASKING, seems to be bringing a greater congruence to my actions and activities, and Giving Up has been absolutely essential to make space for truly life-giving energies to rush in.

So, what will you give up next? All players come forward!

Stevers