Quite so , whether you believe you can or believe you can't you are absolutely right as someone famous once said( or words to that effect.)

There are sadly folks out there who believe they can purchase magic bullets..

Just by reading or knowing about a subject does not make a person an expert! I know it is possible to climb Everest,and I BELIEVE that I could do it, but in my present condition would be foolish to try and would very likely meet with failure.

However should I decide that I need to actually do it, I would prepare myself physically, and more important MENTALLY, and learn skills that I don't presently possess. I would load my mind with skills and imformation that support the belief that I WILL DO THIS. And then fully prepared, would "turn off" my conscious mind and allow auto pilot to take over and enjoy the trip,with the knowledge that I now possess the skills to get me to the top.

From the very first moments of "self awareness" as a small child I had a deeper 'knowing' that I am so much more than this body. I have dedicated much of my life to investigating myself.

Mastery of the mind is all, and it is true that self doubt is the greatest and most powerful self sabotage that there is. Self belief and an open and enquiring mind are a human beings' greatest ally's.

The very fact that I exist at all is the hardest thing to understand...If I can accept that I do in fact exist then it is no great leap of faith to believe that anything at all is possible. So if it is something that is important to you, total re-call achievable and do-able, not only for the so-called savants, but also for anyone who can be bothered to learn how.

Throughout history there have been visionaries and prophets with perceptions and abilities that the masses didn't understand, or couldn't replicate...eventually scientific knowledge validates these so called super-human attributes and when accepted as do-able become commonplace.
So for the nay sayers out there...suspend your disbelief and question yourself rather than whether it is possible. MY belief that IT IS possible, but whether it is a skill that you personally can master, or how long it takes, you only you can say.