Hi Peggy,
There was something I wanted to add ..
Although I can see merit in just visualizing the active exercises, it is not something I've ever done in practice. My own sense of working with SFQ, finds me always focusing on small universe meditation, if I am unable to do the active exercises, for whatever reason. I totally trust that particular meditation as great 'medicine' for my body.

Initially focusing on meditation, and reducing active, doesn't mean retreat within the practice. 'Increasing meditation also is its own progression forward.' Small universe is great for the body. Not limited to that. The six word chant/heart centered meditation is just that, more heart centered, touching what connects to heart. Working up to two one hour sessions of meditation, or one two hour, would be a very transformational practice. You can visit active exericises as a more ocassional thing. Every other day, or once a week, however your practice leads you. You can immerse in these meditations, and approach the more physical expressions of active qigong, gently working with any physical boundaries. Intention always still moves towards complete healing. No judgements along the way. Enjoy the experience for what it can be.

Level II offers another whole list of possible 'progression forward' practices, physical/non physical. With all the choices, one can progress, even if limited in some way. You find your best path forward to take. It is there in the mix somewhere. It moves you forward, always, no matter what the specifics are. Everything is energy, and you can work with energy in a transformational way. Whatever the energy of 'something' is. Progress can be relative to the mind, body, 'or' spirit. They are all connected.

Relative to focus on meditation, recognize the physical body expressions in meditation. Note that the spine alignment, for example, is key in meditation, as well as the spine being an area very important to clear, first, in medical qigong. Very important physical expression that gets exercised in meditation positions.

SFQ active exercise is internal physical movement versus external. In an internalized physical expression, the movement is filled with qi, or qi moves through the physical expression. Qi is moving through bones and joints. If you feel your hands, qi is moving there, through the arm. That's good for the shoulder/arm/wrist/hand. Keeping a sense of feeling qi, keeps the movements internalized and regenerative.

I tend to really slow down my breath, and my movements. Sometimes, very very slow movements. One circle, sixty circles, can both get you there. Breath does not have to match movements. It doesn't if you move very slow. There's a nice separation or independence within that separation. Always remember that the mind moves the energy. Messages/signals, support the intention, what you want to do within your session. It is all progressive, proactive, via more yin or more yang expressions of your practice.
love,
Gallen