Uly, I am glad that I gave you something to think about and I hear your struggle. I also like Mezmerotica's positive post and Mezmerotica said what I was trying to say, only much better!

"Healing" as opposed to "curing". THerefore, one could re-state your original title as "Healing" does not "cure" everyone. And Master Lin would agree. It does seem to have "curative" effects on some, even many people. More than seems statistically likely. But healing is a bigger issue. However, I hear your frustration and the cognitive dissonance you are experiencing. You are experiencing pain, illness, suffering all on top of loss. ANd you are looking for "results".

And who can blame you?

All I am saying on top of the excellent point made by Mezmerotica is that a) NO MODALITY "CURES" EVERYONE. Not drugs, surgery, any of it. and b) that when things work, they do not have the same "work" on every person. For some people, it just helps them get through a day. Others, it lessens some symptoms, but not all. Others, it seems to "Cure".

Healing happens. Period. IT is not that you did not try hard enough, or that you did not want it work. It is rather that every person is unique and we are not merely a set of symptoms or conditions. Sometimes that FACT is comforting and helpful. Other times, it is confusing, paradoxical and difficult.

The idea that "healing will help you spiritually, but not help your body" is still dualistic thinking. I don't see it that way either. I think it helps ALL of it. Always. How? Ahhh! Now that is the 50 million Euro question! And here's the really good/bad news (but you already know it) : it works differently for every person, because each person, case, situation, moment in time is TOTALLY UNIQUE! And to make it even more frustrating, not only for you, but everyone, EVEN when we know what the disease is, and even if someone ONLY relies on "materia medica" or whatever modality, again, IT WILL NOT WORK ON EVERYONE!

As a rabbi, I have watched plenty of people dying, while they do the same kind of dance that you described that people did with "John of God" or whomever, but they do it only with hospitals and medical doctors. And there is the same kind of anger, frustration, and doubt that you are experiencing or describing.

The question you are asking is right on. It is just that limiting it to "energy healing" or whatever, is an arbitrary limit. It applies to ALL healing on every level. Ask a medical doctor what the criteria is for a tested drug to be considered "effective". It will blow your mind!

If you or anyone here has never seen the movie "MY LIFE" with Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman, written and directed by Bruce Joel Rubin, who wrote the screenplay for "GHOST", I highly recommend it. Another important character in the film, is an energy healer, played by the outstanding and Academy-award winning actor and real-life Cambodian medical doctor, Dr. Haing S. Ngor.

Here's a capsule review from the Amazon.com site:
Quote:
Screenwriter Bruce Joel Rubin (author of the fanciful Ghost) made his directorial debut with this more serious confrontation with the realities of death. Michael Keaton plays an advertising executive who learns he is dying even as his wife (Nicole Kidman) is pregnant. The film beautifully focuses on his anger over everything: the unfinished business of his life and the probability he'll never meet his child. The late Dr. Haing S. Ngor (The Killing Fields) is terrific as a doctor who helps Keaton's character to recognize the corrosiveness of his rage and to let go. The film is a heartbreaker but truly cathartic for anyone who has felt the blunt pain of losing someone close. Keaton is outstanding. --Tom Keogh

The healing sessions between Michael Keaton's character and the healing practitioner, player by Ngor, are the best part of the movie for me. I asked Master Lin about this once and if he had situations like this, and he smiled at me and said "all the time".

Sometimes the healing happens by allowing the person to die easier. That is not merely "spiritual", but very much physical (and emotional and mental AND spiritual). It is not "curing", but it is healing. Ask Hippocrates. He'll tell you! Healing is not only curing, but sometimes it is dying. That does not seem fair or right in many cases. It is nevertheless, true.

Anyway, I am sorry if none of this helps you. I still hope it does. I know it helps me and I hope it helps others who read this.

blessings,

Steve