nickysduck,

i used to have a lot of trouble getting into the "hypnagogic" state when listening to paraliminal tapes and thought for a while that i couldn't be hypnotised or was resistant to the technology.
(yes i know that the tapes are designed to work even if you stay fully conscious the whole time, but i always felt better results when i would blank out for part of the session.)

so i found the best way to work with this, was to listen to one of the paraliminals right after i got home from work, as i am usually tired both mentally and physically at that point. and for a while, it was only at that specific time that i would drop "into state" during my listening session, and thereby get maximum results. any other time of day or night, it just wouldn't work and i would be frustrated.

also everyone has different natural cycles of rest and wakefulness throughout the day --perhaps try varying your listening time to discover when is most effective for you.

you could also try kava kava, i have found that to be effective in many cases for helping to induce a trance-state while listening to consciousness-altering technologies.