I'm not sure about effect as Marie is quite specific in her advice that in Diamond Feng Shui, there is no substitution for using a six-rod hollow metal wind chime. The six rods are connected with wealth coming from heaven lifting the density of the earth. 6 rods represents the "chien hexagram" from the studies of I-ching which carries the meaning BIG METAL and luck from heaven. Such a hexagram exerts the strongest form of metal energy which is required to counter problematic earth (dense) energy from flying stars #2 (illness) and #5 (disaster).

The areas that you would have had to place the wind chimes for the monthly time period in August were in the East (Fame or #9 star which multiplies the effect of the annual star, which for the East is the Disaster or #5 Star in 2011), North-East (Disaster or #5 star for the month of August) and Centre (illness or #2 star for the month of August). My suggestion if you can't find the six-rod chime would be to photo-copy the image contained on page 17 of the Level 1 manual and place them them in the relevant areas until you can get the required items. They are available at shops on line - I buy my stuff from Feng Shui Best Buy which has really good quality items for reasonable prices and great service.

Hope this helps