I wanted to wait for a while before posting this. It has been 6 weeks since I smoked my last and final cigarette and I feel that now is a good time to share my experience.

I have been a smoker for more than 10 years and had tried pretty much everything to quit. Nothing worked for me till I tried affirmations and paraliminals/hypnosis audio earlier this year.

One day I really got inspired and made a total and utter resolve to never smoke again. I went and smoked my last cigarette and absolutely promised myself that this would be the very LAST. I had done this many times in the past, but the feeling I had this time was different. I had tried quitting many many times before, but this time, the intensity was REALLY different. I could not be more committed to the cause. I mean, honestly, this was my best.

Then promptly, after a few hours, I lit up my next cigarette - yet again. I was so ashamed of myself that I cannot put it in words.

It was then that two things became very clear to me:

1. I could never summon more determination, resolve and clear decision than what I had done that day.
2. I was approaching the whole "quit smoking" process in a wrong way.

I decided at that time that I will no longer use will power to quit smoking. I realized that I had been using will power where wisdom needs to be used. I decided to try a different approach. I tried to create a mindset of a "non-smoker".

I started with the affirmation - "I am a non-smoker". I did this for a couple of days. But after googling on the subject, I found that using a negative as an affirmation was not something that is recommended or works. So I changed my affirmation to "I enjoy being smoke free."

Meanwhile I started looking for audio form of affirmations and bumped into self hypnosis and paraliminals. I listened to a hypnosis audio on quitting smoking. In that, one of the affirmations was "I don't smoke".

It then occurred to me that a negative way of saying things is sometimes a very natural way. I am a vegetarian by upbringing. So it is very natural, easy and effortless for me to say "I don't eat meat". I reasoned that if I were a non-smoker it would be equally easy, natural and effortless to say "I don't smoke".

Affirming in the negative suddenly made sense to me. So I changed my affirmation to "I am non-smoker. I don't smoke. I enjoy being smoke free." I kept repeating this over and over for a day or two.

Around the same time I started listening to stop smoking paraliminal and stop smoking hypnosis audio as much as I could. I slept with my headphones on during the night and listened to these audio in a loop.

After 2-3 days, I naturally and effortlessly stopped smoking. I have been smoke-free since. I kept listening to the audio for 7-10 more days. After that I slowly started reducing the listening time. After two weeks I completely stopped listening to the paraliminal/hypnosis audio.

For anyone who is interested in quitting smoking, this is the sequence that worked for me:

First I listened to Alan Carr's Easy Way audio. I had read the book earlier, but it did not have the same impact. So I would strongly suggest that you listen to the audio as well. The psychological aspects of smoking become very clear after going through it. It became very clear that it is not ME that wants to smoke but the Nicotine monster inside that is actually making me reach out for the next cigarette ... and many times unconsciously on a zombie like manner.

For two days, whenever I remembered, I affirmed verbally and mentally "I am a non-smoker" as much as I could.
For 1 day, I affirmed, "I enjoy being smoke free".
For three days, I affirmed, "I am a non-smoker. I don't smoke. I enjoy being smoke-free."

I kept listening to these audios throughout the night in a loop and as much as I could during the day:
1. Stop Smoking Paraliminal (by Paul Scheele, of course)
2. Stop smoking forever by Glenn Harrold
3. Quit Smoking by Paul Mckenna

Of these, I liked the Glenn Harrold audio the most.

Surprisingly, I could never remember anything from the Side B of stop smoking paraliminal (other than the introduction and waking up).

I later bought other Paraliminals (specifically Abundant Money Mindset, Deep Relaxation, Focus & Concentration, Happy for No Reason, Self-Discipline and You Deserve It ) and had a similar experience of "not remembering" for some other paraliminal sessions as well.

While I can't be certain, I am inclined to believe that the stop smoking paraliminal contributed significantly in changing my mindset to that of a "non-smoker".

I strongly recommend the "stop smoking" paraliminal to anyone interested in quitting smoking.

Last edited by jpanch; 03/02/13 07:20 PM.