Hi Arielle,
Your not alone when it comes to the mind wandering. It is called in yoga - "the Monkey Mind." When we're in the monkey mind, the mind jumps from the past to the future, to the past, sometimes to the present, but is like a monkey leaping from branch to branch. I find that before any meditation, the way to stop, calm down your nervous system and then turn towards the meditation is learn to do yoga breathing, which is also known as "diaphragmatic breathing." The breathing is only through the nose because the air is filtered, warmed and moistened before going to the lungs. On the inhale, push your tummy out. This causes the diaphragm, the supporting structure under your lungs, to move out of the way so the lungs can expand. Exhaling, push your tummy to your spine, which pushes the diaphragm, to fully empty the stale air at the bottom of the lungs. If you occupy your mind with your breathing, you will find your nervous system calms down within just 5-6 breaths! Start to listen to the meditation after you're in a calmer state. As you listen to the meditation, notice that your breathing will develop a regular rhythm that's just right for you. When you reset your autonomic nervous system this way, you will likely achieve a better result because your mind and body are better connected and a nervous system that calmed is relaxed to receive in the subconscious mind (the Higher Self), the directions of the meditation. I'm sorry, there aren't really any "short cuts" to meditation that I know. What I do know, though, is the more you practise, the more readily you can sense when your mind moves into a receptive state. I hope this helps you. Namasté.