I find that addressing self with open ended questions is very powerful in helping people think through the process of what they wish to be, do and have. However, I also think it is important to limit the time horizon otherwise as Alex clearly states sometimes one's search for self and purpose STOPS us living ON purpose. Therefore I find these questions of value...............

In the next six to twelve months.....

If I am to stretch myself to what specifically would I wish to commit my time and my talents?

If I was truly to enjoy myself whilst achieving personal success what activities could I commit to that will be most rewarding?

If I had to make a career decision right now that would bind me for twelve months what would it be?

Of course there is the logical way of doing things listing why's and wherefores etc but most of us know intuitively what we want to be, do and have. Sometimes its a matter of listening to that inner voice.

Also have a look at www.marcusbellingham.com Marcus has written many texts but his best focuses upon discovering one's strengths and then developing these rather than focusing too much on weaknesses. If you buy the book you can do an on-line psychometric profile that focuses on 30+ choices in firmly defined competencies.

Good luck - I guess its a matter of knowing the IDENTITY you are moving towards to become whole.