Originally Posted By: Stweet
Hello everyone,

I am a beginner. I have been following this forum since last year when my PRWMS book arrived. I was hugely disappointed for the initial days, but the queries, answers and suggestions on this forum helped me regain my faith in PhotoReading.

I have a few questions-

1. In traditional linear reading, many times we end up reading many things we are not really interested in for the time being, but could make use of in future and we may remember a part of it, just because our conscious mind has attended it.. Can this happen with PhotoReading?

Why shouldn't it? I usually find I know where to look later when my interest is there for what I didn't need earlier. Meaning I did pay attention even though I didn't spend time activating it.

Quote:
Can one make herself a deep sense of familiarity with entire text regardless of her interest in the material at the moment?

Force is always counterproductive. Use curiosity instead. If you're curious about a subject of course you'll hone deeper information about it.

Quote:
If yes, then how should one set her 'purpose' for the same?

Whatever builds your curiosity.

[
Quote:
2. I have kept no time constraints for my initial days of Practicing PR. I believe, the more I use the system and practice it playfully, the quicker I will get the results. [quote]

Nope. The longer it will take and you'll probably never use less time. Use a timer and learn to keep within that time. Then if you want more be conscious about it and decide how much more time you're going to put into it.

[quote]I am focused on executing all the steps correctly and effectively.

I think it's more productive to focus on getting what you need from what you read. Perfecting the steps is like tying shoelaces, The more you focus on getting the job done the easier it is to get the job done.

Quote:
But then I find myself getting too much attracted to 'rapid read'. I prepare, Preview, PhotoRead, and then rapid read everything for manual activation.

As I said before this is because you've avoided using a timer and keeping some time constraints. The time constraints are perfect for polishing your superreading and dipping; and skittering skills.

Rapid Reading is actually a combination of all those techniques so what you're doing is just regular reading and trying to be faster at it.

To really rapid read you need to work on the other activation techniques as well.

Quote:
I end up evicting 'postview, super read, dip and mindmaps' almost everytime. I have got no success in with it yet.
Will evicting all 'post PhotoRead' steps and just sticking to rapid read yield any result? will it help in effective activation?

Set a timer 7 minutes activation.

Quote:
(My 'purpose' for my academic books has been 'to establish a deeper familiarity and understanding; so that I can answer any question effectively'. )

Learn the system first on non -academic books. Books not related to your studies. So that you can build familiarity with curiosity and learning how you're body mind signals you as to where to find information, first. Then move to books relating to your academic studies.

Quote:
3. How to set a purpose for a book you are interested by its name but are not aware of exact contents?

Your purpose is what you want to get out of the book. If you don't know what the book is about, then your first purpose is to find out what purpose you could possibly have for this book. PhotoRead it and then refine your purpose.

Quote:
4. Reading with conscious mind gives you a 'feel' to have had read and covered each word. (though we may barely understand and recall much at first read) this helps in objective type exams (choosing one out of other four/five entries). Does PhotoReading give you such a 'feel' after activating the books multiple times?

That's why we activate. If we didn't want to "read with the conscious mind" we'd just PhotoRead books and be done with it. Of course we're such great artist at telling ourselves we cannot do that, that we cannot. Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're right. But you cannot fake belief. If you doubt, you don't believe.

Activate, in layers, with purpose. That's important for material that you expect to be tested on. I recommend mind mapping as well as it's easier to think back onto something you've interacted with in more than one way.

When you activate and I mean activate as taught in the system (and the 5 day test) You'll have the same conscious comprehension or better, in about 1/3 the time. Even 1/5 1/10 and even possibly for some books 1/15 the time.

[quote]5. Can we set purpose for PhotoReading to assist in recalling word associations, and random abstract information, order of words/sentences? (such as in puzzles,General awareness Books, timelines in History etc..) [quote]

Why don't you try it and see?

Alex