Dear Friend,
You will get answers to all your doubts when you start getting clear on your purpose and get going on mind probe (Questions,Enquiry ,inquiry ---whatever!!!).
I have struggled to understand Photo reading till 2012.I finished my MBA in finance with distinction (77%) recently.I finished exams in 21 subjects in 1 1/2 years (the couse was 4 years long,i struggled unnecessarily for the first 2 1/2 years).I am waiting for my Certificate form the institute which will come to me in August 2014.i will then share many ideas i used to understand photo reading.Probably will help some novices.

The crux about photo-reading is mind probe.

I cant stress enough on this ...we get so much bogged on the mechanics(Super reading and Skittering and mindmaps--they are essential but they make 20% of the skill) but we dont take time to think.TO probe what we want from the book.

For the book you have photo-read ,have you inquired :

do you need it? Why do you need it?and what do you need from it?
then chapter wise do you mind probe?what is the chapter about?how many ideas has the author covered here?how does he cover or substantiate the ideas with?what arguments does he pose?on particular ideas you may decide to spend more time on ...so you may think further.

Actually activation is easy once you believe that the book you have photo read is already yours and then you use the available whole day or time with you to think on what you want from the book.Beleive me when you get there you will be waiting to activate the book for 20 mins to know the answers!!!!

We lose out on photoreading cause we dont mind probe enough we dont prepare enough.Interestingly the genius Paul Scheele has asked us to prepare every time we read!!!!

hey Alex thanx again for your support .i am waiting from my certificate to send you a write up on my experiments on Photoreading.Thank you so much Alex.Thanx(Cant stop thanking you)!!!!