That is the only way I knew I was reading correctly. I think that is how we are conditioned. Didn't you rely in your early years on your parents giving you encouragement? Didn't you rely on that in the early years of school? I did.

You know, I have been a very slow reader all my life. I have not gone above 150 words/min. I want to be able to quickly assimilate books as it currently takes me weeks or months to learn a new subject. I took college classes, but never got a degree, because there was too much reading and I could not keep up.

Most of the knowledge I have gained has been because I have tried and either succeeded or failed and received feedback to that extent. As I received positive feedback, I would continue down that road until I got negative feedback and then changed direction. That probably sounds pathetic, but when you read slow, you have to find other ways to learn and succeed.

By the way, your last line above, Do you take a shower and have someone say, good job? is very demeaning. I don't know if you meant it that way, but a remark like that is beneath all of us. That is like you are talking to an idiot.

If you never learned something new and relied on someone else to tell you if you did well or not, then I don't know what world you came from.