Thats what my point is brother! YOU have the purpose to find that 4% text in the book at this particular moment of time. Does it mean it actually has only 4% texts important? YOU have decided to find what YOU feel important. That's why YOU feel only 4% is relevant.

Tomorrow I ask you to find what adjectives have been used in the books and how many times, that another 4% you will discover.
Next day, I ask you to seek what you dont agree with, thats another 4%
The Next day I ask you how to evaluate performance of a stock?- another 4%
What are the limitations of treasury bills? another 4%

You see.. Each time you have a different purpose, dont you? you seek different info each time, dont you?
So it increases the time you spend with the book, which comes down to the time you need when you regular read. But you dont admit it because you have been underrating your own regular reading.

Nice to know you have been using the system and feeling happy about it. You have been one of the most helpful members on the forum. Whats your idea of linear reading?

Quote:
What Paul wants us to understand is relevance and irrelevance of the content of the text

No, Dr. Scheele has said what he had to say. What we discuss here is our inference from his words and statements. Its our opinion and our findings.

What books do you read Adarsh? Most of the books on financial literacy you have mentioned here are actually have little content in them. Why? these arent textbooks. they are written for the layman. The targeted readers are those who usually are not enrolled for a course in finance. No wonder why you find only 4% text useful; you being already familiar with finance as one of your very own subjects. And you dont even need photoreading to find it out. Preview and some skittering enough.

Not all have same reading needs all the times. This is where the 4% and 11% terms have taken birth from. You also dont recollect everything after 20th activation pass, do you? Same happens with regular reading. So there is no reason to compare or tag it as inefficient. Speed reading is no different. Technically, its the same regular reading.

Quote:
Forget photoreading after many days of studies in our school days havent we made summary or revision sheets of our textbooks and been able to score?We have been able to do that.

Summary! now you have spoken up! Do you think summary and reading a book are the same? Summary is just a gist of what ONE has picked up or what ONE finds the most important.

I would recommend you read/photoread books on marketing research, textbooks on biochemistry, yearbooks, books on biodiversity, geography, administration, travel and any other technical book with detail rich text. I understand it wont be easy to take out time to go through these, but do give it a try sometime. Compare and post your experience in terms on comprehension, time you spent and your performance on a few open ended questions.

Stweet