Hi Ryan!

For most people, the fourfold breath is a way to access the relaxed state that is ideal for seeing auras. Because you are counting four during the inbreath, the hold, the outbreath and the hold, a lot of people find that purposeful focus a great way to become centered and in a state of present moment awareness, which is where your power to do anything always lies.

I would suggest experimenting a little more with it, at various paces and times of day before deciding that it’s not having an impact. Sometimes simply lengthening or shortening the count will have a huge impact. I find that my pacing varies quite a bit during different sessions.

The above being said, however, if what you are doing works for you I would definitely experiment with that as well. Because you are focusing on the 1st or 2nd chakras, my suspicion is it does the grounding that brings you into the present moment and puts you in a more harmonious and relaxed state, which would definitely be conducive to seeing energy. One concern with this modality is that you might feel a little self-conscious doing it in a public venue when you want to get into an ideal state for gazing. smile

All the best!
Wendy