rirvinmoore,

Alex is a very supportive coach, but I am yet to get the mystic 'gel' phenomenon she mentions often. I have applied so many many layers, made mindmaps for all the books I came across with; from last 3 yrs, but at the end I had to read all those books word for word to understand them.

I am in the same boat today as I was 3 yrs back.

Sounds strange, but, sadly, whatever you do, you will be told, you either lack a good purpose or you are not applying enough activation layers.

I would suggest, try it for some more days, but if you are still not happy, then rethink. You may end up wasting a lot of your time.

Alternatively, if you want to zip through books without bothering with mind maps and all, you can consider other speed reading techniques.

Paul has mentioned he could read 5000+ wpm after a speed reading course. I happen to read evelyn wood speed reading book last week. the author says, you can actually break the subsonic reading barrier through visual-vertical reading that will enable you to zip through books at about 3000 wpm with great comprehension with a month of practice.
Its worth to have a look.

Cosmo.